Mongolian Beef Eggroll in a Bowl (Dr. Sam-ified)
To give you a peek into some of the foods that promote ketosis…here’s a recipe from my Pinterest stash. This is a staple at my house!
Busy Life Tip: brown 2-3 pounds of ground beef on the weekend, season with salt and pepper only. Season for the desired flavor on the night you put the meal together.
Find the original recipe from Mamashire on my Pinterest board here. Be sure to follow me on Pinterest…I’m always adding more goodies to the mix!
Servings: 4 = 1-1/2 cup servings
Prep Time: 30 mins (cook beef ahead of time and cut this by 2/3)
Cook Time: 30 mins
Here’s what you need:
- 1 lb 80/20 ground beef, opt for grass-fed if possible. (You can sub out any other ground meat you have on hand)
- 1 lb ground turkey (I double the protein in this recipe. And you can sub out any other ground meat you have on hand again.)
- 1 bunch green onions, 6-8 stalks
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic, about 4 cloves (I use the tubed variety to cut down on prep time.)
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos (soy free) or gluten-free soy sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup Non-GMO erythritol or 1/3 THM Super Sweet Blend. (FYI, I never add this.)
- 1/4 teaspoon glucomannan. (FYI, I never add this either.)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger. (I also use the tubed ginger instead of dried. The taste is so much better!)
- 1 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
- 1- 16 oz. package coleslaw. (You can double this according to your appetite.)
- optional additions: red pepper flakes and more coconut aminos or GF soy sauce, wasabi.
In a large skillet brown the ground proteins. The recipes says to “Drain off fat and rinse ground beef with hot water to quickly drain off any extra fat. Place ground beef back in skillet and begin reheating on medium heat.” I say, “no need to drain the fat, enjoy the fat and leave out the water instead”.
Stir in the sliced green onions and garlic. Carefully pour in the coconut aminos and water (or not) and stir to mix.
In a small bowl mix together the erythritol*, glucomannan*, and ginger. If you like a wasabi kick, add according to taste now. Then add to the skillet. *I do not use these ingredients.
Drizzle in the blackstrap molasses.
Add in the package of coleslaw. Stir to combine. Cover and let cook over medium heat for ten minutes stirring occasionally.
Scoop into a bowl and enjoy!
Serving suggestions: Scoop over Riced Cauliflower…stir-fry style.
Servings: 4 = 1-1/2 cup servings (based on one package of coleslaw mix)
One serving = Calories: 335; Fat: 30g; Carbohydrates: 8g; Protein: 36g
*values estimated from online calculators